Personal, Daily Contribution To The Environment and Society

Doing one's part to be socially responsible is a daily decision. It's not something you can decide to do for a week or a season- it's an ongoing, daily commitment.

Some things I am trying to do include:

Turn off lights. I am always turning off lights, TVs, etc. that are left on in my house. I try to never leave the house unless everything is off. Unplugging appliances that are not being used is also something I try to remember.

I work from home, so no commute. This is not possible for everyone, but if it is, look into it.

I recently took a bag of collected batteries to a recycle center. What I need to do is buy all rechargeables. This is expensive so I am doing it little by little. I also collect ink cartridges for recycling.

I am also slowly replacing our light bulbs with CFLs as the other light bulbs burn out.

I try to hurry with my shower, so I don't waste water. Although I do give in to a hot bath once in a while, especially when its cold out- a guilty pleasure.

I try to cut down on using our spring water dispenser and store tap water in the fridge to drink. My husband loves the spring water dispenser, so it's here to stay. His argument is that in case of an emergency it is a good water supply. He has a point with this.

I need to walk more and drive less. I used to be better at this. I do walk my daughter to school every morning. Its nice to get outside everyday.

I try to remember to purchase organic products- soaps, shampoos, lotions, food, detergents and clean with vinegar and lemon juice. Also I try to remember to buy in bulk.

I am going to set up an account so 10% of my income automatically goes to a charity of my choice. This way I won't "accidentally" spend it.

(For women) I used to have a Diva cup and it was great, but then I thought it would be a good idea to boil it for sanitary reasons, but it ruined it. I'm having a hard time spending the money on a new one- since it's expensive, but I need to do that. It really saves a lot of money in the end and eliminates a lot of trash. If you buy one, don't ever boil it! Use a disinfectant spray like this one- between periods and let it dry thoroughly. Wash with soap in-between daily uses.

Recently I started getting tired of rinsing out all of our cans and bottles for recycling when the idea hit me that I could just put them in the dishwasher with the rest of the dishes and put them in the recycling bin afterwards. Easy! Just remember to remove any paper off first!

I try to check the thrift store before a regular store for things I need. I also try to donate to the thrift store often.

What are you doing?

No comments: